Agistment: An Overview
Agistment is a term used in agriculture to describe a contractual agreement where one person (the agistor) takes in and cares for the livestock of another person (the agistee), in exchange for payment. This arrangement allows the agistee's animals to graze on the agistor's land, and it's a common practice in many farming communities.
Agistment can be a great solution for livestock owners who do not have enough pasture for their animals or for those who need to move their livestock during droughts or other adverse conditions. It's also beneficial for landowners who have excess pasture and want to make use of it.
The cost of agistment can vary greatly and can be calculated in several ways:
- Per Acre: In this model, the price is set based on the amount of land the livestock will be using.
- Per Head: This is a common method where the price is determined by the number of animals that will be grazing on the land.
- Per Week/Month: In this case, the agistment fee is set as a weekly or monthly rate, regardless of the number of animals.
Variations in Agistment: Horses vs. Cattle and Sheep
The nature of agistment can vary depending on the type of livestock involved. For instance, horse agistment often involves more than just providing pasture. It can include full-service care such as feeding, grooming, exercise, and stable facilities. These services are usually more comprehensive and costly than agistment for cattle or sheep, which typically only involves providing pasture for grazing.
Listing Agistment Properties on The Farmer's Lot
If you're a landowner looking to offer agistment services, listing your property on The Farmer's Lot is a straightforward process. Here's how to do it:
- Create an account and log in to The Farmer's Lot.
- Navigate to the section for listing agistment properties.
- Provide detailed information about your property and the agistment services you offer. This could include the size of the land, the type of livestock you can accommodate, the cost, and the additional services you provide (if any).
- Upload clear and representative photos of your property to attract potential agistees.
- Review your listing for accuracy before publishing.
By listing your property on The Farmer's Lot, you can reach a wide audience of potential agistees looking for quality agistment services. Whether you're offering horse, cattle, or sheep agistment, The Farmer's Lot can help connect you with the right people.